Saturday, February 23, 2019

Not to be a "Drama" queen but ...

Guys!! This has been really stressful for me. I am stuck between two genres and santi and I are having a hard time figuring out what the story line is going to be for our film opening. I have been watching over 20 film openings and I still. have. no. clue. Ever since the beginning of my journey and these blogs, we have decided that we want it to be either horror or drama, so i am just gonna be giving you guys some research on Drama since we are leaning towards it more. From my previous blogs, I have talked a lot about drama and how it has various sub-genres. Meaning that there could be comedic drama, romantic drama, teen drama, and melodramatic films all under the category of drama. If santi and I had to choose a specific sub-genre, it would probably be teen drama since it is not so complicated and we relate to it a lot (hence, being a teen.)


So, before we begin, I will be going over characters since it is a very important aspect to consider when making these types of films. Below, is a quote that proves why characters are important for these teen dramas and generally any drama.

The number of characters in your cast is very important. A lot and you'll have a great variety for your audience to identify with. Too much and the audience may get confused. If you are just starting out, maybe start with a small cast of four or five. Enough so you won't overwhelm yourself but still have the possibility for drama.”

With that being said, these characters consist of:
Jocks/Cheerleaders
Nerds/Loner
Misfits/outcast

For example: A Cinderella Story:

Main character - Geek/Loner
Best friend - Misfit
Main character’s crush - Jock
Crush’s ex girlfriend - Cheerleader

To know more, here is a link to a prezi that covers more about characters https://prezi.com/uq9g9tbaudkc/teen-drama-genre-research/


Another film that is a teen drama is The Duff and according to Film Synopsis it is about

“Frumpy high-school senior Bianca who has a rude awakening when she learns that her classmates secretly know her as the DUFF -- designated ugly fat friend -- to her prettier and more popular pals. Desperate to reinvent herself, Bianca enlists the aid of Wesley a charming jock. In order to save her senior year from becoming a complete disaster, Bianca must find the confidence to overthrow a judgmental student and revolutionize the school's social order.”


Now, if you would really like to visually see an example, here is a trailer to The Duff where these representations are shown

Lastly, this case study has made me realize that I am starting to want to create a teen drama due to the fact that I liked the role between the characters, the environment and shots that were incorporated as well. Although I am still not 100 percent sure of what I want to do or how I want to do it, I am excited to finally start this project and give it my all!!


Taylor, Holly. “Teen Drama - Genre Research.” Prezi.com, 31 May 2016,
prezi.com/uq9g9tbaudkc/teen-drama-genre-research/.

“Write a Teen Drama / So You Want To.” TV Tropes, tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteATeenDrama.

Movies, YouTube. “The Duff - Trailer.” YouTube, YouTube, 9 Apr. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=_awm5slV5ZM.

No comments:

Post a Comment